Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Nursery!

.
So, I've noticed that the last several blog posts have ended in exclamation points...there's just been a lot of exciting stuff happening in this final month! :)

As of this past week, we managed to get the nursery as done as we're going to for now. We're trying to strike a balance between functionality, fun cuteness-that-causes-you-to-like-being-in-the-room-even-in-the-middle-of-the-night, and responsible stewardship by making cheaper choices and not splurging on the things that really don't matter. So it probably won't ever be featured on any magazine covers...but we love it!!! Chad did a GREAT job painting the room ("Olive 3"), which we hadn't done since we moved into the house 4 1/2 years ago! It feels like an entirely new living space!!!

People have asked if we have a nursery theme. The closest I've come to being able to describe it is "Faux Pottery Barn." :)


Here is our $30 re-sale purchase of a changing table, as well as a re-purposed pantry from our kitchen...


We're trying a "bin system" inside for clothes for now...we'll see how it goes! (I have a theory that it will help me from overbuying...even though baby clothes are just so darn cute!)


We're using a lamp that we found in Dad's stuff that is from MY nursery, which I thought was sweet...but Chad just insists is the tackiest thing he has ever seen. :)



I also discovered, in going through some other closets in our house, that we had leftover fabric from my living room sewing projects that was entirely usable and matched things perfectly -- so it ended up being several less things to purchase! I made a chair pillow and curtains...


And a pleated crib skirt...


I was also able to use some leftover foam I found from our bedroom's padded-headboard project to make a new little mattress for a Moses basket that my Aunt Diane had given us to borrow (used 20+ years ago with HER daughter!). I found some SUPER-cute fabric at my favorite surplus warehouse, and also made a bumper pad for it...


So, we have a bunch of wonderful gear that we're trying to keep organized as best we can...


And now all we need is the actual baby to put in the crib!


.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kate, it looks wonderful! It is so exciting that I think you are fully justified in using as many exclamation points as your heart desires!!! I have been thinking a lot about you and will be praying for you and Chad as you get closer to the arrival of Baby O!

jenebassett said...

I think it looks adorable. And I think the lamp is cute, not tacky at all. Can I just say what a handy sewer you are! I knoew you were crafty, but come on! Girl, you have some skills. -Jen