Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The MNMC Hilton...


I won't speak to anyone else's experiences, but we have been thoroughly impressed with the staff at Mount Nittany Medical Center. The cadre of nurses have been very helpful and gracious (even though I can't remember any of their names and I can't remember which ones are nurses for Kate and which ones are nurses for Julia, and I'm still trying to find the nurses to attend to me). Dr. Patel was very professional, skilled, and successful at getting this kiddo from the inside to the outside. The entire staff was respectful of our wishes and responded graciously to all of our specific requests (including my request for a cheese steak in the middle of the delivery). We may not live in a major metropolitan city with a world-renowned hospital, but the folks here at MNMC have served us extremely well. Frankly, we're planning to stay here about as long as we can. Kate gets free meals. She asks for way more food than she'll eat, which means that I also get free meals. There's an unlimited supply of free chocolate milk and ice cream in the kitchen down the hall. They clean up any mess that Julia makes. And if we have any problems with anything, we've got professional help just a few seconds away. (Did I mention unlimited free chocolate milk and ice cream??!!) My only complaint is that the "bed" that I'm sleeping in was apparently designed to accommodate six-year-old girls, as Kate and three nurses need to use massive shoehorns to get me in and out of it, but I'm sufficiently tired that I can still sleep through multiple feedings and check-ups and even an occasional wail from Julia. Overall, we're having a blast enjoying our little girl (and did I mention the unlimited free chocolate milk and ice cream??!!). Thanks MNMC for treating us so well!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

my recent experience on MNMC's 4th floor was equally wonderful--I'm so glad they're taking good care of ALL of you...

Melinda said...

Agreed - the staff/ experience is really amazing. You'll understand why they tell you SEVERAL times during check-out that once you leave with your baby, you can't really come back for more care.

Thanks for the details and for sharing you JOY with us :) Be blessed!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so glad. I have had really good hospital experiences (although I've had an occasional bad nurse). Sorry about the beds, Chad. I've never slept in them, but I know that Jim has had trouble sleeping in them (and that's saying something since he usually falls asleep three seconds after hitting the pillow).

And although being at the hospital is nice, the sense of "realness" you will feel when going home will be neat to experience. It will just be the three of you in your home, and you'll realize, "Wow! This is our new family." Kind of amazing (and somewhat scary at the same time ;-)