My mother hates sports about as much as I hate coffee, brussel sprouts, and "Dead Poet's Society" (which I recently watched again for final confirmation that it is the lamest and least inspiring movie of all-time, followed closely by "Field of Dreams" and "Leonard, Part 6"). And her sense that Americans easily lose perspective about sports in relation to the rest of life is correct. Read this article for a thoughtful critique of our collective unhealthy obsession with sports.
Nonetheless, I remain convinced that there are a host of legitimate reasons why sports are not only tolerable but have the potential to teach all of us a number of priceless lessons. Someone who understood that was John Wooden, and the world is a poorer place for his departure. I encourage you to read my favorite article by the greatest living sports writer (Rick Reilly) about the greatest coach who ever lived (Wooden). I remember reading it for the first time in college, and it brings a tear to my eye every time I read it. Whodathunk that one could find such good stuff on the back page of Sports Illustrated? (See, Mom!!)
I hope to become even one millionth of the man that John Wooden was. And I'm sure that hundreds of athletes are shaving their beards, putting on their socks correctly, and playing fundamentally sound basketball in heaven today...
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment