Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm brilliant...

.
Okay, I'd like to start with the disclaimer that I'm sure many other new moms have figured this out too...but I'm pretty darn proud of myself in this moment.

The crux of the issue was this little playmat that Julia has decided that she absolutely loves. It has some dangly toys that she just thinks are a riot. She will lay under there for quite some time just smiling up at the cow hanging above her head...


But only if he's moving. So for the last several days, we had this little routine worked out that I would gently kick the bars to make the whole thing sway a little bit, and then head to the kitchen to try to crank through some emails. A few typed sentences later, the inertia would slow to a halt, causing some unhappy squeaking sounds from the little girl. So I would get up to go and kick it again. And head back to the kitchen. And... Lather, rinse, repeat. :)

So I started brainstorming through what energy source I could use to keep it going. I thought about a vibrating mechanism that's attached to our Pack n' Play, but I didn't really want to waste electricity on this. I thought about trying to balance my laptop out there and keep it going with my foot, but that sounded kind of tiring. So then my gaze rested on the most reliable, reusable energy source out there...

Little baby feet!


I've managed to line her up consistently in a way that she moves the bars all by herself -- without even knowing she's doing it! I figured, she just kicks and kicks in life...might as well get some use out of it!


I wonder what else we could harness her for...
.

No comments: