Monday, December 5, 2011

Bethel Brodown 2011...

Several years ago, my seminary mates started discussing the notion of getting together for a post-graduation church leadership conference. Honestly, it seemed like a pipe dream that we could ever execute such a rendezvous, given the far-flung locales of residence. But, I kept nodding my head, saying "That would be great" and thinking "There's just no way it will ever happen."

Well, Johnny McSkeptical Pants was proven wrong in November of 2011, when nine members of cohorts I and J of Bethel Seminary's InMinistry program, having all graduated in 2010 or 2011, representing 7 different states, gathered for a few days in Chicago, ostensibly to attend a Catalyst One Day conference with Andy Stanley and Craig Groeschel, but no less to just spend time with great friends.

I've already waxed as eloquently as I can wax about these guys. So, let me simply offer some highlights, during our several days in and around the Windy City.

--Six grown men spent an hour or so soaking in a vastly overwhelmed hot tub, displacing approximately the volume of water that occupies Lake Superior.
--The collective laughter reached several points of squealing and/or hyperventilation, as we reminisced about some classic stories from our seminary days.
--Trials and tribulations of current ministry contexts were shared.
--Upcoming transitions (possible and definite) were hypothesized and discussed.
--Several of the gang had the great privilege and honor to enjoy the mysterious "shiny bean sculpture thing" of Chicago.
--Recent events in Happy Valley were discussed at some length, which brought about fascinating conversation about the nature of sin, the need for grace, and the power of healing, restoration, and redemption that only God can bring.
--Metric tons of deep-dish pizza were consumed, and many colons heaved and grimaced accordingly.
--And, yes, many church leadership lessons were learned, as Stanley and Groeschel were fabulous.

To be sure, it was all too short. But it was a positively delightful time of fun, food, fellowship, and friendship of the richest kind. My cynical side wonders if we'll ever be able to pull off something like this again. But the experience was simply too precious not to make every effort to pursue it again somewhere down the road. Adam, Eric, Nate, Jason, Brent, Justin, Ray, and Brodie, thanks for taking the time to do this thing. It blessed my mind, heart, and soul.

The Bethel Brodown 2011 was a big hit for this participant, and I can't wait for the next Bethel Brodown, whenever we can make it happen. I'll just have to buy some skinny jeans between now and then...

4 comments:

Ray said...

Long live The Bean!

bradshawstories said...

I noticed I was a pair down upon my return home from Chicago. Chad, gimme back my skinny jeans. Miss you bro! Thanks for making the Bro Down possible!!! You're a great friend and brother...and I pray God lights up your sky this Christmas season! Please say hi to K and J and baby O!

brodie said...

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas this year is to be able to rock-out a pair of skinny jeans like Adam...don't let me down.

xoxo,

Brodie

Pop O said...

That sounds like a great time together ! I sure hope you guys can pull it off again sometime !