Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Eight is (not) Enough...

What can I say, I'm a helpless romantic? To celebrate our 8th anniversary, Kate and I went out to dinner, while Dick stayed at our place and watched Julia. I was thrilled to have found a fabulous coupon online for a local restaurant, which is always a great start to a romantic evening. Kate graciously agreed to go to this restaurant, even though it wasn't one of our local favorites. Unfortunately, the main dining room was booked for a corporate Christmas party, so we had to eat in the bar. But as a final romantic touch, we had a nice view of the smokers standing right outside our window.

OK, so I could use some help in the romance department. But we did have a delightful evening together. We ate very large pieces of fried fish (pictured below), me in sandwich form and she in non-sandwich form. We ordered multiple appetizers (probably the first time we've ever done that, courtesy of that fabulous coupon!!), each covered in cheese and bacon. I enjoyed the most spectacular bathroom sink under which I've ever had the privilege to wash my hands. (Seriously, I want to go back there just to look at that wacky sink again.) And we had some truly delightful conversation, during which we discussed some of our shared dreams and actually finalized some next steps over the next year or so.


Ultimately, it was just a wonderful evening, an opportunity to reflect back on the many blessings that God has brought into our lives through this marriage. Whenever I hear people talk about their marriages as conflict-free, I think to myself, "That sounds so boring." What we've got going is no cake-walk, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. We continually challenge each other in our marriage, and ultimately, help each other to grow into the husband, wife, and Christ-followers that God wants us to be. Here's to many more years of anniversary coupons, fried fish, and luxurious bar bathroom sinks!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy 8 years! Sorry the location wasn't very romantic... but it'll make for fun memories :-) I can't say enough how great it was to see you three over Christmas! Miss you guys!

Pop O said...

Sounds like you got to have a great evening together ! Congratulations on a wonderful start to many fufilling years together ! Pop O