Monday, June 20, 2011

That's all she wrote...

Had you asked me in 2006 if I would attend my seminary graduation, I would have scoffed at the idea. Why in the world would I want to travel back out to Minnesota again for a mere formality? Well, in June of 2011, I loaded into a white Dodge Caravan with Kate and Julia and my parents and this (not-quite-so-) young man headed west. After more than five years of blood, sweat, and tears, I wanted to walk across a stage. I wanted some really smart people to put an academic hood around my neck. I wanted to shake hands with some people that I don't know. I wanted to have that obnoxious tassel dangling in and out of my mouth and getting caught in my beard for several hours. I wanted to wear a jet-black sweet sheet of heat during a record-setting heat wave. And I wanted to receive a diploma holder in my sweaty hands, which held a piece of paper telling me that they'd send my actual diploma in the mail a few weeks later, after they had a chance to confirm that I had met all of the graduation requirements. I wanted it all. And I got it all. What a wonderful, God-glorifying time of reminiscing, celebrating, worshiping, and thanking.

The trip consisted of three days of travel, a Friday evening Communion service, Saturday morning commencement, Saturday evening church, a double-dip of Sunday morning church, hanging out with long-time friends on Sunday evening, the Minnesota Zoo on Monday morning, wandering through the seminary on Monday afternoon, and three days of travel back home.

Here are some pictures that capture a few high points.



An ecstatic soon-to-be graduate, a proud wife, and a squinty daughter



I'm in the middle of the stage, receiving my hood


Playing tug-of-war with Julia over my tassel (I believe she won)



Posing with my parents at the reception. My relationship with God and my interest in learning are directly attributable to their influence, instruction, and inspiration over the years, so it was only appropriate for them to share in this momentous occasion with us.


A beautiful little girl in a lovely dress, inspecting some gorgeous flowers (thankfully while under Mr. Frog's supervision)


A thrilled graduate smiling while overlooking one of Minnesota's 10,000 lakes (and Bethel's only lake)


Most of my major life markers have been celebrated with chocolate milk. 21st birthday (21 shots). Wedding (with a special delivery from Penn State's Creamery). And seminary graduation (in cheap plastic cups from the Super 8)


With various graduation activities and Julia's nap schedule, we didn't have time during our stay in Minnesota for a lot of sight-seeing. Our one excursion was to the Minnesota Zoo, where we spent several hours enjoying some fascinating animals. (Dolphins are awesome!!) And thanks to a record-high temperature (literally, our day at the zoo actually set an all-time high for June 6 in the Twin Cities, hitting 99 degrees), Julia discovered how much she liked having her feet fanned by grandma!



Three exhausted Oberholtzers outside the zoo, thankful for a wonderful time but excited to get back to the car and a cooler of cold drinks!!


On our final day in Minnesota, we spent a few minutes wandering through the seminary buildings. I have walked this hallway hundreds of times over the past years, but this was my favorite walk of them all.

What an amazing experience Bethel Seminary has provided for me! What supportive parents I've had to prepare me for such an experience! What a truly remarkable wife I have who has walked with me and picked up so many balls that I have dropped during this season! What a delightful little girl God has added to our family! And what an amazing trip this was to remember, celebrate, and thank Him for it all! I'm a very blessed man...

1 comment:

Pop O said...

Speaking as a participant on that trip ---- the entire 10 day experience was awesome !! I truely believe your Bethel days were very meaniful to you in many ways. It was a shear pleasure for Mom and me to share them with you, Kate, and Julia !! All our love - Mom & Pop O